Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits on earth and enhances the immune system and protects the body against diseases with its vitamin and mineral content. It has anti-oxidant, anti-viral and anti-tumor properties and it is a very rich source of vitamin with the amount of vitamin A, C and E and folic acid it contains. This amazing fruit has three times more anti-oxidants than wine and green tea and provides protection against many diseases like cancer. Pomegranate can protect the body against many different diseases from heart diseases to Alzheimer’s, type 2 diabetes to obesity and not only its seeds but its juice and even its peel can be used for health.
Table of Contents
What is pomegranate?
Pomegranate is a slightly sour and sweet fruit consisting small core and hundreds of grains from the lythraceae genus. It grows in mild climate and is one of the most delicious fruits on earth. This flawless fruit has amazing benefits for the human body and health. One of the best properties of it is its natural anti-oxidant effect. Anti-oxidants make the body more resistant against diseases. This fruit, which is rich in vitamins A, C and E, also has anti-viral and anti-tumor characteristics.
Vitamins in pomegranate
It is a fruit rich in fiber, protein, vitamin C, K and E, zinc, phosphorous, magnesium and iron compounds and it has remedial properties. However, attention should be paid for its sugar content.
Benefits of pomegranate
Experts have been studying the power of pomegranate for years. Delicious fruit contains many herbal nutrients and anti-oxidants that help us fight against inflammation, diseases and toxins in our body. One fruit is comprised of hundreds of seeds and each one of these seeds form the core and juice of the fruit. Seeds are sweet and sour, and its dark red juice contains more anti-oxidants than green tea or acai berry. If you add pomegranate or its juice to your nutrition plan, you will experience below benefits very quickly.
Benefits of pomegranate for cancer
Every day there are more studies proving the importance of pomegranate in the fight against cancer. Anti-tumor effect of it was evidenced by these studies. Multiple studies showed that pomegranate extracts prevent the growth of breast cancer cells and even trigger the programmed breast cancer death.
More advanced studies suggest that the juice of this amazing fruit can slow down the growth of prostate cancer, one of the most common cancer types among men. In a study on male subjects with recurrent prostate cancer and elevated prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels, researchers showed that the use of pomegranate juice extract significantly slowed the elevation rate of PSA. Other studies found that some compounds inside it exhibit strong anti-tumor effects and prevent the growth of prostate cancer cells.
Benefits of pomegranate on skin
This healthy fruit, rich in vitamin C and other anti-oxidants, can help delaying the aging symptoms of the skin. Skin inflammation, acne marks and sunspots can be treated with anti-oxidants. It also naturally brightens the skin.
Add 1 table spoon of lemon juice and honey to 2 table spoons of pomegranate peel powder. Mix thoroughly until obtaining a smooth paste. Apply this to your face and neck and wait for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water. This face mask can treat sunspots and pigmentation and even naturally brighten the skin. In addition, pomegranate may surprise with its anti-aging properties.
Seed oil of pomegranate is also known to help eczema and psoriasis treatment. Although there isn’t many studies on this matter, mixture of crushed pomegranate leaves and water is recommended for vitiligo treatment. This fruit also helps protecting the skin against sun and contributes to the treatment of melasma (mask of pregnancy).
Benefits of pomegranate during pregnancy
- Eating it during pregnancy lowers the risk of placenta damage.
- This amazing fruit is also rich in folic acid which reinforces your body during pregnancy and may prevent birth defects.
- Seeds can also reduce brain damage in newborn babies.
- If pregnant women with high risk in late stages of the first trimester eat pomegranate, they can increase the chance of having a healthier baby.
- Increases breast milk and clears the blood.
- In addition, there are sources suggesting that pomegranate treats infertility in women.
However, as pomegranate is determined to cause uterus contraction in women, you must consult your doctor before use. Eating it may be the best way of consumption.
Is pomegranate good for a cold?
If you want protection against flu or cold, a nutrition plan rich in Vitamin C can help you. High Vitamin C content of this fruit can protect the body against flu and cold, and can decrease the symptoms of these diseases. Drinking 1 to 2 glasses of fresh pomegranate juice diluted with 1 liter of water can help you to be more comfortable in autumn and winter seasons, when the flu is most common.
Benefits of pomegranate for high blood pressure
High blood pressure (hypertension) is one of the causes of stroke and heart attack. Blood pressure problems, which can arise regardless of age and gender, possess life-threatening risks. Fresh pomegranate juice is a powerful nutrient that lowers high blood pressure. In a study, individuals with high blood pressure consumed 150 mL of it every day for 2 weeks and their blood pressures significantly decreased at the end of the study period.
Benefits of pomegranate for arthritis
Articular rheumatism (arthritis) is the inflammation of one or more joints and causes pain and articular stiffness that worsen with age. With anti-inflammatory flavonols it contains and its anti-oxidant properties, pomegranate is the most important natural treatment for articular rheumatism.
Some animal studies found that pomegranate seed extract can reduce collagen-based arthritis onset and its area of impact. In addition, these studies also show that this nutrient significantly reduce the severity of arthritis and articular inflammation.
If you are already on articular rheumatism medication, consult your doctor before adding this fruit to your daily nutrition.
Benefits of pomegranate for heart
Several studies suggest that it can accelerate oxygen supply to the heart muscles and help the treatment of many heart diseases like cardiovascular disease, hypertension and coronary artery disease. Antiplatelet activity of pomegranate is also known to help arterial plaque and blood clots. Therefore, you can significantly improve your heart health by drinking only one glass of fresh juice every day for at least 3 months.
Benefits of pomegranate juice for female
- Pomegranate juice balances estrogen levels and drinking one glass of it a day helps fighting against menopause problems.
- Anti-oxidant properties of this fruit can contribute to the rejuvenation of skin cells and may reverse aging symptoms like wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Pomegranate seeds nurture hair and make hair easier to comb.
- This amazing fruit is also rich in iron. Preliminary studies verified that it can be helpful for anemia-related menstrual irregularities.
- As pomegranate is rich in fibbers, it can also help the treatment of fungal infection. It kills fungi responsible for the disease and proliferates beneficial ones.
Benefits of pomegranate juice for memory
Scientific studies proved the benefits of polyphenols inside pomegranate seeds and juice on memory and cognitive functions.
- Pomegranate especially has significant benefits for post-operative memory involvement.
- In another study, elderly individuals with memory complaints consumed either pomegranate juice or a placebo beverage with a similar taste 1 glass a day for four weeks. Significant positive differences in verbal and visual memory locations were detected in subjects who consumed juice when compared against the subjects who received placebo.
- In addition, an animal study proved that addition of pomegranate to the nutrition plan delayed the onset and progression of Alzheimer’s disease and suggested that pomegranate can be used for natural treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- In another animal study, pomegranate seed extract was observed to augment memory and muscle coordination in relation to its anti-oxidant properties and protection against free radicals.
Does pomegranate increase testosterone?
Today, benefits of pomegranate are widely known. However, its viagra effect is also being frequently mentioned in recent years. In a study conducted at Margaret University, pure pomegranate juice consumption is found to significantly increase saliva testosterone levels in addition to its positive effects on blood pressure and mood. Pomegranate can lead to elevated testosterone levels and increased sexual drive.
Is pomegranate juice effective on erectile dysfunction?
Results of animal studies suggest that pomegranate juice can make positive contribution to increase blood circulation and erection. Same effect can also be true for humans.
Benefits of pomegranate peel
- Different than its seeds, pomegranate peel should not be consumed directly. Best ways to consume it is to boil with water or thoroughly crush the peel.
- Drinking water boiled with it clears the stomach and intestines.
- Alleviates digestive problems like diarrhea and constipation.
- Applying ground it on wounds accelerates the healing process.
- One tea cup of pomegranate peel, which is boiled with half liter of water and filtered, can be consumed per day. This tea is good for hemorrhoids.
Side effects of pomegranate
- Some cholesterol and high blood pressure drugs should not be taken with pomegranate juice. Therefore, individuals using these drugs should consult their doctor before consuming it on a regular basis.
- It has a higher sugar level than other fruits. Individuals with diabetes or obesity must be careful about the consumption of it.
- Pomegranate juice may cause gas problems in some cases. Excess pomegranate juice consumption can lead to bloating in children and adults.
- It may also cause uterus contraction in pregnant women.
Although rare, this fruit can cause allergy. There is no concrete condition causing the allergy. However, in case of any unexpected reaction in the body after consumption, you should seek medical help immediately.
References: 1- Benefits of Pomegranate, 2- Health benefits of pomegranate juice, 3- Health benefits of pomegranate