Fennel is a medicinal plant widely used since ancient times; it belongs to the carrot family, and its Latin name is “Foeniculum vulgare”. The fennel, which is a long-lasting plant, can reach up to 1.5 meters long, brunette and fragrant that be included as a flavor in meals. This herb, which contains many vitamins and minerals, contains plenty of Vitamin A and C in addition to beneficial minerals such as sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. Its seeds and root can be used as antiflatulance while the leaves can be used to make tea for cure. The fennel oil, fennel oil, fennel tincture, fennel extract, fennel extract, fennel soap, fennel ointment and syrup are produced from this Mediterranean herb. It is also widely used in the production of a wide variety of drugs since it is rich with flavones and essential oils.
Table of Contents
Benefits of fennel
The fennel plant can be used to treat constipation, to control blood pressure, to treat some skin diseases and to increase milk in breastfeeding women. However, you should always consult your doctor before using it like any other herbs, because in some cases it may cause unfavorable effects.
- Helps regulate blood pressure: According to a study published in the Journal of Food Science, chewing fennel seeds helps to increase the nitrite content in the saliva and help control blood pressure (blood pressure). Seeds are a very rich source of potassium which is an important component of cells and body fluids.
- It is reduce water storage time of the body. Drinking fennel tea helps to clean extra fluids diuretically. Seeds help to remove toxins and reduce the risk of urinary tract problems. In addition, there are diaphoretic properties that trigger sweating.
- Seeds help to purify blood. The essential oils of these seeds are considered to be very useful to remove toxins and sludges from our bodies and help to purify blood.
- It is beneficial for the eye. Seeds contain vitamin A, which is important for vision. Fennel is a useful plant for people who have problems with eyes or eye tension and dry eyes during the day. For use, a teaspoon of fennel should added into two cups of water and boiled. You can wash your eyes with this water when it cooled down to a warmness that you can wash your eyes.
- Seeds have a cooling effect on the body. It is a good idea to consume a fennel seed drink during scorching summer, to relieve heat from body. It will help you to cool down.
- It is a wonderful and natural solution for acne. When seeds are regularly eaten, they provide valuable minerals such as zinc, calcium and selenium to the body. These minerals help to balance the hormones and oxygen in our body. If you apply the cooled fennel tea to your skin with the help of cotton, you will see that your skin problems are reduced.
How to make Fennel Tea?
It has many benefits. In recent years, due to the its antiflatulance effect, it is suggested to drink fennel tea especially to the mothers having delivery to decrease flatulance complaints of both their infants and themselves. To make it, put 1 teaspoon fennel seed in a large cup. After crushing them in a separate place, throw them into the cup. Add boiled water to the cup and let it infuse. After ten minutes, you can drink it after filtering it.
Benefits of fennel tea
You can get the same benefits from fennel tea as much as you do from fennel herb. However, when consumed as a tea, it is especially good for upper respiratory tract disorders and also relieves rheumatic pain.
- It is rich in minerals, which means good for cold, flu and fatigue
- It helps to eliminate digestive problems, it is good for stomach cramps and it is very effective against flatulance, indigestion and diarrhea.
- Stimulates bacteria that cause stomach ulcers and relieves the symptoms of stomach ulcers
- It gives a feeling of fullness and helps to eliminate digestive problems. Therefore, those who want to lose weight, can drink 1-2 cups of this tea in a day.
- It can be used to reduce menstrual pain caused by contractions due to spasm-reducing feature.
- Increases breast milk and is beneficial for nursing mothers
- Fennel tea, which is rich in mineral, can be used to reduce fever and to strengthen the body against certain infections.
- Infused fennel seed tea is placed on the eyes with the help of a cotton pad after being heated for 15-20 minutes and helps to remove the swelling around the eyes.
- It used in the treatment of colic infants and provides relief for the baby by decreasing the colic symptoms
- Relieves the person because of the soothing feature of the nerves
- It has a diuretic property and supports biliary production
- Relieves tooth pain
- Increases libido, strengthens sexual desire
- Reduces bad breath and can be used to treat sputum cough
Benefits of fennel tea for infants
It is known that the use of it in infants is effective in urination and reducing the flatulance pains. In addition, it is one of the effective assistants in the formation of healthy sleep patterns for babies. It will be effective for you in longterm, exhausting insomnia. However, always consult your physician before use.
Fennel tea and breastfeeding
Fennel has a stimulating effect on breastmilk production in breastfeeding moms. The tea contains the sticky plant fluid, sugar, starch, tannin, non-essential and essential oils. Essential oils give fennel seeds anasone odor. The fennel tea, which has the quality of breast milk, is also very beneficial for the baby. However, you should consult a doctor about the amount you will use.
Fennel and high blood pressure
One of health problems of fennel herb is high blood pressure. The components contained in it protect the cardiovascular health by reducing high blood pressure. However, those who have tension problems should always consult their physician and continue to use their medication before using fennel. It can be used as a supportive natural method in combination with the use of medications that the doctor considers appropriate.
Does the fennel tea help you sleep?
Fennel tea has a relaxation effect on people by relaxing the nerves. Thus, it facilitates good transition to sleep. In other words, fennel tea relaxes your nerves and muscles, making sleep easier and eliminating insomnia.
Fennel tea and weight lost
Fennel plant helps to lose weight as it accelerates metabolism. A cup of fennel tea, which you drink before going to bed, will make you feel the feeling of hunger the next day. It is a source of healing for people who have difficulty in following a diet program.
Fennel and menstrual cramps
Fennel is effective in the treatment of dysmenorrhea which causes intense pain during menstrual period. It is especially effective in regulating menstrual cycle. It also helps to have a peaceful menstrual period by relaxing the body. Consumption of fennel tea as an advice of the physician will help the overcome problems more easily and regulate the menstrual cycle.
Fennel seeds and asthma
Fennel seeds reduce asthma symptoms. As the fennel has expectorant properties, it provides the necessary help for the recovery process of diseases such as bronchitis, obstruction and cough. You can as well consume it as tea. If you are taking any medication, you should consult your physician before use.
Benefits of fennel to skin
Fennel has many positive effects on skin health. Because this herb can be used in many areas ranging from skin infections, treatment of fungal disease, removal of swelling of the skin, to an anti-aging moisturizer. The steam obtained by boiling the leaves and seeds cleans the skin and opens the pores on the face.
How to eat fennel seeds?
They can be used both in meals and as a medicinal and alternative medicine. The seeds have strong antioxidant properties and fight with free radicals in your body. They are also ideal for losing weight. Essential oil of it has a positive effect both on increasing the metabolic rate and supporting weight loss as an appetite suppressant. You can swallow the seeds in two or three pieces. Or you can put 4-6 grams of seeds in 1 cup of boiling water and wait for 10 minutes then drink.
Side effects of fennel
The use of the fennel, which is suggested to take with meals, may in some cases cause side effects.
- Because the fennel tea has different effects, a physician should be consulted before using it.
- Excessive consumption can cause nausea and stomach pain.
- Severe side effects include difficulty breathing, skin problems, heart palpitations, rhythm disturbances, and pulmonary edema.
- It is not recommended to use in pregnant women.
- It is recommended that breastfeeding women should not use it without consulting to the physician, even though it may increase breast milk during breastfeeding. Because in some people fennel can affect blood glucose levels negatively.
- It is suitable for adults, but tea and taking in dishes are not recommended for children.
Under normal circumstances, those who have flatulance and indigestion problems may use a small amount in dishes or consume them as tea after meals. Instead of consuming those plants in ready-made bags, it is better to find and use the natural ones. However, it is necessary to be cautious about excessive use.
How to make a fennel dish? A recipe
This herb can be used not only as a spice, but also in cooking dishes. Ingredients:
- 2 fennel root
- 1 dry onion
- 4-5 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon is required.
Preparation: Wash the fennel and slice. Add the sliced onion and garlic in the olive oil and sauté then add slices. Add sugar, salt, water and lemon juice to the top and cook. Cook until the fennel softens over medium heat then serve.